The SIM swap threat puts your identity under threat.
It gives an attacker access to a victim’s sensitive information such as bank accounts, credit card numbers among others.
Find out how to detect the fraudulent phone sim swap.
How It Works
- Your potential victim’s phone network will momentarily go blind (No Signal / Zero Bars).
- The victim receives a call after a while
- The victim will be asked to press “1” on the phone to get the network back.
- Once done, the victim’s phone will lose connection to the network again and the fraudster will receive all the SMS and voice calls intended for the victim.
- This allows the fraudster to intercept any one-time password (OTP) sent via SMS or telephone calls sent to the victim; giving the hacker access to any accounts (social media, bank, etc.) that require phone verification.